This will be the first of several posts from the same blog article. Offers great advice for those open water swimmers and athletes looking for alternate and healthful food energy sources beyond Gu's, maltodextrins and energy drinks.
- Refined sugar and excess fructose are highly inflammatory, which from an athletic point of view is the enemy to recovery and subsequent performance.
- Excess carbohydrate consumption can inhibit our body’s ability to burn fat, which is the limiting factor in endurance events.
- Make refined sugar free eating a priority.
- Reduce your fructose intake.
- Rely less on starchy processed carbohydrates. Fact. You definitely don’t need to be following our traditional (and now almost obsolete) food pyramid, or guidelines of up to ten times your body weight in grams per day (i.e. 10g/kg BW/day). I promise.
- Train on an empty stomach a couple of times a week. More on this to come.
THE NATURAL NUTRITIONIST