May 5, 2010

Ah, the smell of fresh cold water. It Must be Spring

May 5th and everything is green as spring has sprung in Chicago land. I took a dip in the neighbors un-heated pool two days ago at 67f on a stretch code tether for 15 minutes and was just fine. This weekend its down to Lake Zurich which should be around 60f by now for some mileage and the chance to shiver...

I recently surpassed 250 miles of training and am currently 3rd in the nation for my age group (44-49) as part of the US Masters "Go the distance" program where thousands of silly people just like me train and track there mileage year by year. Its a subtle competitive moment for me everyday to log my miles and see where I stack up. Its been a long winter and mostly training by myself, so any motivator is welcomed.

Shoulders seem to be hanging in there. IWhile I have clearly gotten stronger and able to handle faster swim sets for longer periods of time, I still have residual left shoulder stuff going on and will finally get an MRI of the shoulder and neck. We are suspecting that it could be some old nerve impingement and/or muscle issue. Its been hard to diagnose due to the ability to handle the physical workload so we'll see. Maybe just getting older?

I'll be in Plymouth, IN in about a month for the seasons first 10k (6.2 miles race) so looking forward to that and also trying to figure out how to get over to Lake Wawasee near my old hometown for another swim across the lake like I did back in the 1980's. Can't believe it was that long ago?

No comments:

Post a Comment