Jun 5, 2011

The personal price of My Journey to swim the English Channel

Recently, I was painfully reminded at a deep emotional level that only a parent can feel about the price one pays for taking this journey to swim the English Channel. 

Lets not kid each other, the time away in the water is time not spent with family, neighbors or friends. Even when your family and friends are kayaking alongside or taking the trip with you to some exotic place (Like Tampa, FL; Boston, MA or Dover UK), its still you, alone, swimming for hours in the water and them in the boat.

We Open Water Swimmers each have our own reasons and I carry with me the burden of mine everyday for taking this path. I will be the first to admit it has always been my dream to take this journey but so have many other things in my life and are equally important like my family, my daughter and friendships. We have hopes and aspirations not only for ourselves but for those around us, that maybe something positive can rub off on them by taking such journeys together? Sometimes its hard to tell if the value is learned? Sometimes the results aren't apparent for a long time. 

Using swimming, a singular team sport as a vehicle to teach self respect, kindness, courage, and humility I believe has strong value learned through setting long term goals, dedication and being resilient to deal with both the ups and downs of taking such a Journey.

Here are the ones taking this journey with me that I hope share in this learning opportunity?






No comments:

Post a Comment